With the town’s population declining it was decided to merge Putāruru High School and Putāruru Intermediate schools to create one school which would cater for the learning needs of students from Year 7 through to Year 13.
Putāruru High School had operated on this site since relocation in 1947 from the Library in town. 1961, catering for the needs of high school students, while Putāruru Intermediate had been based across town for Year 7 and 8 students since 1976. After an initial settling-in period getting to grips with the logistics of timetabling and housing an extra 200 pupils, the school has evolved into a college that we are all proud of. And in the nature of education, we will keep evolving to keep up with a changing world to meet the needs of our students and community.